The establishing treaties are the primary legislation of the European Union. The Treaty of Paris established the European Coal and Steel Community in 1951. In 1957, the Treaty of Rome formally created the European Economic Community - precursor of the European Union. The 1965 Merger Treaty (Brussels Treaty) combined all executive commissions and councils of the member communities into the present day organizational structure. The Single European Act - signed in 1986 - made possible a single Common Market. European Union became the official name of the economic and social pact signed by member states in 1992 under the Treaty of Maastricht. The Amsterdam Treaty - signed in 1997 - moved certain economic and social powers from national governments to the European Parliament. And the Treaty of Nice - which was signed in 2001- reformed the institutions of the European Union for future eastward expansion. The Treaty of Lisbon - signed in 2007 - amended the Maastricht Treaty and the Treaty of Rome.
Some useful electronic and print sources of statutory materials are listed below. For a more detailed explanation of research on the European Union see ASIL, Electronic Resource Guide: European Union (Marilyn Raisch) and also Chapter 12 of the Thurgood Marshall Law Library Guide to Legal Research.
- Treaty Establishing the European Coal and Steel Community, 1951 (Treaty of Paris) - 261 U.N.T.S. 140
- Treaty Establishing the European Economic Community, 1957 (Treaty of Rome) - 298 U.N.T.S. 11
- Treaty Establishing the European Atomic Energy Community, (EUROATOM Treaty) - 298 U.N.T.S. 167
Treaties Currently In Force:
- Treaty of Lisbon (2007) - Amends the Treaty of Rome (Condolidated version 2012) - 2012 O.J. C 326, 26.10.2012 pp.1-390
- Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (Consolidated version 2012) - OJ C C 326, 26.10.2012
- Treaty on European Union (1992) ( Maastricht Treaty ) - 1992 O.J. C 191 , 31 I.L.M. 247
- Treaty Establishingn the European Atomic Energy Community (Consolidated version 2012) - OJ C 327, 26.10.2012
Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (2012) - O.J. C 326, 26.10.2012, p. 391-407
- Eur-lex- Access to EU legislation
- Europa - Offcial web page of the European Union
- Lexis - To find the enabling legislation of the European Union, follow this search strategy: International Law tab>View all Countries>European Union>European Union Legislation and Regulations.
- Official Journal of the European Union - Source of EU legislation. Coverage 1952 - present
- Westlaw - Texts of treaties, OJL series, and preparatory acts are available from 1951 -present. Follow this search trail: Westlaw>International Materials>European Union>All EU Legislation>Treaties.
- Official Journal of the European Union - Located on Level 4 of the Library. Library has 1974 - 1997 [KJE908.O34]
= TMLL Restricted Access