Current Statutes and Legislation
In Maryland most of the legislation dealing with Dispute Resolution can be found in the Courts & Judical Proceedings Article of the Maryland Code (Md. Code Ann. Cts. & Jud. Proc. sec. 3-201 et seq.) Divorce is dealt with in the Family Law article (Md. Code Ann. Fam. Law).
Some useful electronic sources of statutory and legislative materials are linked below. For more information on state legislative research, including Maryland legislative history, see Chapter 9 of the Thurgood Marshall Law Library Guide to Legal Research.
Maryland Laws and Legislation
- Maryland Statutes (Paper) - Located on Level 2 of the Library
- Annotated Code of the Public General Laws of Maryland (Lexis) [KFM 1230.5.M5 - Level 2]
- Annotated Code of Maryland (Westlaw) [KFM1230.5.W4 - Level 2]
- Laws of the State of Maryland [ KFM 1225 - Level 2]
- Maryland Statutes (Electronic)
- Code of Maryland (Lexis) - free, unannotated version.
- Maryland Code and Court Rules (Westlaw) - free, unannotated version.
- Maryland General Assembly web page
- Gateway to Maryland Law (Maryland State Law Library)
- Justia - Contains the 2013 edition of the Maryland Code
- HeinOnline - Search the State Statutes Library for the Laws of Maryland
- Archives of Maryland Online - Use the Session Laws link located on the left side of the screen.
The databases BloombergLaw, LexisAdvance and WestlawNext all offer up to date versions of the United States and Maryland.
Maryland Legislative History guides
- Ghosthunting: Searching for Maryland Legislative History (Michael S. Miller, Maryland State Law Library)
- Checklist for Maryland Legislative History Research - A companion to Ghosthunting
- TMLL Reserch Guide Chapter 5 - Legislative History Research
- Maryland General Assembly - The Legislative Process: How a Bill Becomes a Law
- Maryland. Dept. of Legislative Services. The Legislative Process
Maryland - In addition to sources in subscribed databases, there are a number of free sources on the internet for legislative bill tracking:
- Maryland General Assembly - Click the Legislation by Session at the top of the screen to access information beginning in 1996.
- Legiscan - Maryland
- Govtrac.us - search by state
BloombergLaw, LexisAdvance and WestlawNext all have bill tracking capabilities as well as copies of bills introduced.
= TMLL Restricted Access