Case Law, Administrative Decisions and Orders
For general information on finding and updating case law, see Chapter 7 of the Thurgood Marshall Law Library Guide to Legal Research.
Several subscription online legal research services provide full text of state and federal cases, including cases relating to agricultural law, with coverage extending as far back in time as most researchers usually need. Subscription online legal research services include Bloomberg Law, Lexis Advance, WestlawNext, and Fast Case. Free online legal research services like FindLaw, Justia, and Google Scholar also provide full text of select cases, but the coverage is not as extensive as the subscription services.
Another online legal research service worth mentioning is Maryland Decisions. Maryland Decisions is a database containing the full text of opinions from Maryland circuit courts and Maryland's Office of Administrative Hearings. However, this database is still very small. See also: Maryland Appellate Court Opinions.
Lexis: If you find one good case on Lexis, you may be able to find others by identifying the headnote that best describes the issue of interest to you, then clicking "More Like This Headnote," or by Shepardizing the case to find other cases that have cited it for the issue represented by that headnote.
- MD Cases, Administrative Decisions & Attorney General Opinions, Combined (MDCASE)
- MD State Cases, Combined (MDCTS) for Criminal, Family and Elder Cases
- MD - Maryland Court Rules (MDRULE)
Westlaw: If you find one good case on Westlaw, you may be able to find others by identifying the headnote that best describes the issue of interest to you, then clicking "Most Cited Cases" for that headnote. You could also try clicking "KeyCite Notes" to find other cases that have cited your good case for issue represented by that headnote.
- State & Federal Courts (MD-CS-ALL)
- Maryland Court Rules (MD-RULES)
- Maryland State and Federal Trial Court Filings (MD-FILING-ALL)
- Maryland Briefs Multibase (MD-BRIEF-ALL)
- State Briefs All (STATE-BRIEF-ALL)
- Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility (MDETH-CS)