Journal articles are an excellent way to start your research. They are narrow in focus and they contain references to other sources – both secondary and primary. Unless you have a citation to a particular article, it’s best to start with an index.
The key indexes to law journal articles are HeinOnline, LegalTrac, Index to Legal Periodicals & Books, and the Index to Legal Periodicals Retrospective 1908-1981. These indexes include references to many journals not included in the WestlawNext, LexisAdvance and BloombergLaw databases. In some cases electronic access to the full text is also provided.
Heinonline is good source for PDF format/full text articles. Over 1500 journals have been scanned and posted – coverage usually starts with Volume One. The default search on Heinonline is by citation but this database is also searchable by author, title and text. Legal Trac and the Index to Legal Periodicals are indexes - good to search broad topics. They also provide full text of articles in a large percentage of cases. For additional help on finding articles, link to Using Legal Periodicals in the Thurgood Marshall Law Library Guide to Legal Research.
Most print journals are shelved in alphabetical order by journal title on Level 1 of the library. The library also has electronic access to a large number of journals via various subscription databases. While most general law reviews publish articles on copyright law, there are a number that focus specifically on this topic. Listed below is a selection of these titles that you can access at the Thurgood Marshall Law Library. To find out if the library has access to a particular journal, use the search titles link on the TMLL web page. Or contact the liaison for this course.
Here is a sample list of electronic-version journals that might help you research Environmental Law issues:
- Albany Law Environmental Outlook Journal
- .Boston College En vironmental Affairs Law Review
- Colorado Natural Resources, Energy & Environmental Law Review
- Columbia Journal of Environmental Law
- Environmental Economics and Policy Studies
- Environmental Law Journal
- The George Washington Journal of Energy & Environmental Law
- Georgetown Environmental Law Review
- Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
- HELR: The Harvard Environmental Law Review
- International Journal of Sustainable Water and Environmental Systems
- International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering
- Journal of Land and Development
- Stanford Environmental Law Journal
- University of Baltimore Journal of Environmental Law
- William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review